This course covers the fundamentals of food and beverage service and management as it applies to restaurants and all other types of food service operations including institutions, hotels, quick service operations, and catering. The focus of the course will be on the philosophy, psychology and technical skills required for excellent food and beverage service. In addition the course will cover the principles of sound food and beverage operation management, which can be applied to ensure these service levels are attained.
Methods Of Instruction
This course will use a variety of teaching/learning activities. Activities may include role playing, group discussions, oral presentations, demonstrations and practical labs.
The student will be able to:
- Describe the size, nature and scope of the food and beverage service industry, including the industry’s origins, trends currently affecting it and the outlook for the future;
- Discuss the organizational structure and characteristics of food service operations, including the labour force, working conditions and career opportunities;
- Discuss fundamentals of management, the management process and managerial responsibilities;
- Demonstrate the principles of menu development from a marketing, nutrition, design, operational and cost control standpoint;
- Calculate ideal food and beverage cost percentages using standardized recipes;
- Identify and describe the different types of food and beverage service, the requirements for good service and the role of professionalism, appearance, personal development and positive attitude in ensuring service levels are met;
- Appreciate the importance of sanitation and safety in a food and beverage operation and the manager’s role in ensuring high standards in this area are met;
- Plan and design the layout of a food and beverage facility;
- Use proper purchase considerations for equipment as applied to a food and beverage establishment;
- Evaluate the role and management and service-related functions of the restaurant ECR and POS system.
Text: Jack D. Ninemeier. Food and Beverage Management, Latest ed.
or similar textbook approved by department.
Reference: Lendal H. Kotchevar, Mary L. Tanke. Bar and Beverage Operation, Latest ed.
or similar materials as approved by department.
Only calculators approved by Faculty of Commerce and Business may be used on tests and exams.