This course is not active. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
This course has been discontinued. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
1. Earth resources and society: Population and economic growth, exploitation and consequences, resources versus reserves, economic cycles.
2. Plate tectonics and resources: rock cycle, plate tectonics overview, igneous and metamorphic processes, shallow subsurface processes, surface processes, marine processes.
3. History of Earth resources: early exploitation of resources, the colonial era, modern resource trends, history of resources in Canada.
4. Environmental impacts related to Earth resources: resource extraction, usage, and waste disposal.
5. Resources, their properties, occurrence and use:
a) Energy: Fossil fuels, nuclear energy, geothermal energy, other renewable energy resources.
b) Metals and metaloids: Iron, aluminum, titanium, magnesium, silicon, nickel, chromium, base metals, precious metals, exotic metals.
c) Industrial minerals used in fertilizers, chemicals, building materials, others.
d) Gemstones: diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, others.
e) Water and groundwater: hydrologic cycle, occurrence, quality, production, conservation.
f) Soil: formation, properties, uses, conservation.
6. Future of Earth resources.
Lecture and seminar. A field trip may be scheduled.
Term papers, projects 10 - 40%
Assignments 10 - 20%
Midterm Exam 20 - 30%
Final Exam 30 - 40%
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
1. describe the relationship between society and the demand and use of Earth resources.
2. describe the concept of plate tectonics and the major related earth processes, and explain how occurrence of important resources is related to tectonics.
3. understand that environmental impacts follow from use of resources, and be able to discuss important impacts and mitigating activities.
4. name important mineral and metal resources and discuss how they are extracted and used.
5. name important energy resources and discuss how they are harnessed or extracted.
6. describe the occurrence, use and extraction of groundwater and water.
7. describe uses and conservation of soil.
Students should consult the bookstore for the latest required course materials, including textbook. The course will use Craig, J.R., Vaughn, D.J., Skinner, B.J.; Earth Resources and the Environment; Prentice Hall or an equivalent text.
No equivalent courses.
This course is not required for any other course.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Alexander College (ALEX)||ALEX SCIE 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU GEOL 313 (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU GEOL 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Coast Mountain College (CMTN)||CMTN GEOL 1XX (3)||2015/09/01 to 2019/04/30|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR GEOL 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Columbia College (COLU)||No credit||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU GEOG 1XXX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG GEOG 1XXX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|North Island College (NIC)||NIC GEO 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Okanagan College (OC)||OC EESC 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU EASC 107 (3), B-Sci||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU GEOL 1XXX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU GEOL 1XX (3), *non-lab||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|University Canada West (UCW)||UCW GEOG 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO EESC 1st (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV EOSC 1st (3)||2013/09/01 to 2019/04/30|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC GEOG 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV GEOG 1XX (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC EOS 1XX (1.5)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU GEOL 1st (3)||2016/01/01 to 2019/04/30|