This reading course is for English language learners who wish to upgrade their reading skills in order to continue their education. The course is designed for advanced level students who need to read academic materials efficiently and critically. This course emphasizes reading for study purposes. Students will read material from texts, academic/professional books and journals and other sources. Reading exercises will emphasize understanding how information and ideas are developed and organized, summarizing important ideas and details, and identifying and evaluating arguments.
Methods Of Instruction
The instructor will observe and evaluate students’ development and participation in reading and writing activities.
Whole and small group instruction will be combined with individual assistance and student-directed learning. Students will receive assistance with reading difficulties that arise from lack of familiarity with the structure, lexicon and cultural content of the reading passages. Students will participate in the setting of goals by identifying their communicative and language development needs, and will participate in the selection of learning acuities.
Means of Assessment
- Complete assigned skill-development tasks
- Prepare a file of self-selected and teacher selected materials (expository, opinion, research, literature) for oral and written activities
This file should include:
- notes on materials
- vocabulary lists
- written assignments which demonstrate development of critical reading skills
- reference lists (APA style)
- Develop a file of writing, all word processed, that meets specified criteria for content and organization, language use and accuracy, and format.
- This file should include:
- at least one summary
- at least one summary/analysis
- at least one outline of a research essay
- at least one comparative analysis of arguments on a common issue
- This file could include:
- a summary of an experiment/research report
- a response to literature documented MLA style
- In class, read and complete tasks based on readings
- Complete quizzes , both skill based and content based
- Complete at least one self-assessment of learning strategies, progress, and classroom skills to be discussed with the instructor
- Complete tasks to a specified level of accuracy
Student achievement will be assessed using the letter grade system in accordance with college policy.
Extend communicative proficiency and language accuracy for a broad range of academic purposes.
- Read and understand academic material from a variety of sources
- Take notes for a range of academic purposes
- Use strategies to explore academic materials
- Collect, analyze, and organize relevant information from a variety of sources
- Plan, write, revise, and edit formal compositions such as summaries, summary/analyses and literary response
- Plan and outline a research essay based on academic research, and documented APA style
- Monitor and apply strategies to improve accuracy in grammar, sentence structure, and word choice to a specified level of accuracy
- Participate effectively in a college classroom
- Assess progress
Students will be required to purchase a textbook to be determined by the instructor.