This course is designed to introduce the concepts of Cloud Computing. The course will expose students to three different perspectives of Cloud Computing: the theoretical, the technical, and the commercial perspectives. A variety of real case studies and existing market cloud-based tools will be identified and studied to provide students with an overview of Cloud Computing applications. Student will also look into more in-depth considerations for planning, designing and migrating to Virtualized Data Centres (VDC) and Cloud environments.
Methods Of Instruction
Lecture, seminars, demonstrations, and hands-on exercises in the lab
Means of Assessment
Evaluation will take place in accordance with the Douglas College Evaluation Policy.
*** In order to pass the course, students must, in addition to receiving an overall course grade of 50%, also achieve a grade of at least 50% on the combined weighted examination components (including quizzes, tests, exams).
The student will be able to:
- describe cloud computing e.g. is a model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (networks, serers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction;
- analyze the technical foundations of cloud computing;
- analyze the economic benefits of cloud computing;
- analyze the competitive advantages of cloud computing e.g. faster deployment/access to IT resources, fine-grain scalability;
- configure a commercial cloud platform e.g. Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services(AWS), or Alibaba Cloud;
- demonstrate how cloud computing changes traditional data centre;
- evaluate strategies of how organizations can migrate to the cloud;
- discuss the limitations and challenges of cloud computing;
- discuss the best practices for cloud computing e.g. elastic architecture, design for failure, high availability, performance, security, monitoring;
- discuss data privacy laws and corporate policies;
Deploying and Managing a Cloud Infrastructure by Addul Salam, Zafar Gilani and Salman Ul Haq
other textbook approved by department