Web Based Scripting
This course is not active. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
- Introduction to web application architectures and server technologies
- Introduction to basic PERL or PHP scripting language (data type, variables, syntax & development environments)
- Basics of CGI programming
- Working with forms, patterns, files and associative array
- Text processing and regular expression
- Manipulating files and directories
- Persistent state mechanism and shopping cart
- Extending server side functionality with additional email, ftp and other server technologies
- Object-orientation in scripting language
- Manipulating MySQL / MSSQL database server
- Implementing user authentication with MySQL or MSSQL server
- Implementing secure transaction with MySQL or MSSQL server
Lecture, seminar, demonstration, and hands-on exercises in the lab
|Assignments (Minimum: 4)||20% - 35%|
|Participation||0% - 10%|
|Quizzes||15% - 20%|
|Midterm Examination||25% - 30%|
|Final Examination||25% - 30%|
The student will be able to:
- explain the design trade off and portability issues on different web based server-side architecture and technologies;
- administer and configure Apache web servers using PERL or PHP scripting language;
- write Common Gateway Interface (CGI) program using PERL or PHP scripting language;
- extend web server functionality using PERL or PHP scripting language;
- build database driven dynamic web content using server based DBMS technology;
- implement e-commerce features using PERL or PHP scripting language.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Elizabeth Chang. Practical Perl with CGI Applications. Latest edition. Addison Wesley.
Luke Welling. PHP and MySQL Web Development. Latest edition. SAMS.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for CSIS 2380|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|