This course is not active. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
1. The Small Business Decision
• personal capabilities evaluation
2. Evaluation of Business Opportunity
• non-quantitative assessment
• steps in quantitative assessment
• feasibility analysis
3. Organizing a Business
• business plan components
• forms of business ownership/legal requirements
• small business plan checklist
4. Financing the Small Business
• equity and debt financing
• government programs
5. Marketing Management
• marketing plan
• marketing checklist
6. Financial Management
• fundamentals of small business accounting
• financial planning and operations control
7. Personnel Management
• best practices in personnel management
Lectures, seminar discussions, case study analysis, role playing and business plan project.
Midterm Examination 20%
Group Project 15%
Business Plan (10% before midterm) 30%
Final Examination 25%
At the end of this course, the successful student should be able to:
1. develop preliminary pro-forma financial statements using computerized spreadsheets;
2. determine market potential for a consulting business;
3. develop a business plan;
4. describe the legal requirements to start a small business;
5. identify sources of financing.
6. develop a marketing plan;
7. develop a promotional campaign;
8. develop a budget;
9. describe the elements of systems relating to accounting, payroll, inventory control and cash handling;
10. demonstrate an understanding of financial control techniques;
11. describe and demonstrate the methods of hiring and training of employees;
12. describe and illustrate principles of effective personnel management relative to leadership styles;
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Balderson, Wesley D. Canadian Small Business Management, Latest Ed. Irwin.
No prerequisite courses.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
This course is not required for any other course.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG BUSM 1115 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2013/08/31|