- Nature and scope of macroeconomics
- National income accounting
- Income determination: elementary
- Income determination: advanced
- The theory of consumption
- The theory of investment
- Fiscal policy
- Monetary sector analysis: the demand for money
- Monetary sector analysis: the supply of money
- Income determination with production - employment (labour market) sector
- Income determination in an open economy
- Fixed versus floating exchange rates
- Stabilization policy
Lecture and seminar.
|Term test(s)||20% - 50%|
|Assignments||10% - 30%|
|Participation||0% - 10%|
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
The student will be able to:
- Construct an advanced two-sector model of income determination
- Examine the effects of inflation and recession, the available policy instruments and potential economic consequences
- Determine stabilization trade-offs in an open economy
- Demonstrate a method of analysis of macroeconomic policy issues
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
- Dornbusch, Fisher, Startz, Alkins and Sparks. Macroeconomics, Latest Ed. McGraw-Hill Ryerson.
- Mankiw and Scarth. Macroeconomics, Latest Canadian Edition, Worth.
- Williamson, S. Intermediate Macroeconomics, Latest Edition. Addison-Wesley.
- Delong, Mansoorian, and Michelis. Macro economics, Latest Canadian Edition. McGraw Hill.
- Hall, Robert, etal. Macroeconomics, Latest Edition. W.W. Norton.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for ECON 3450|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG ECON 2XXX (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU ECON 1XX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ECON 3950 (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU ECON 302 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ECON 205 (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC ECON 311 (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV ECON 1XX (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC ECON 2XX (1.5)|