This course introduces students to web server administration. Students learn to install, administer, update and secure an Internet and/or Intranet web site. At least two web servers: Apache and Internet Information Server will be used. Also, students will learn some Linux and Windows Server commands.
- Basic Linux commands
- Basic Windows server commands
- Basic Web server hardware requirements
- Install and configure a Web server
- Internet information server
- Configure the Domain Name server
- Manage Web server tasks such as:
- User authentication
- Setup users and groups
- Manage file system permissions
- Share resources (such as folders for web publishing)
- Secure a Web server
- Configuration of multiple Web sites on a Web server
- Configuration and support of e-mail services
Methods of Instruction
Lecture, seminar and hands-on exercises in the lab
Means of Assessment
|Assignments/Projects (Minimum: 4)
The student will be able to:
- use basic Linux commands;
- use basic Windows Server commands;
- install the Apache Web Server;
- install the Internet Information Server;
- configure the Domain Name Service (DNS);
- administer and manage a web server;
- monitor and analyze the web server environment e.g. review logs.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester/year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
Below shows how this course and its credits transfer within the BC transfer system.
A course is considered university-transferable (UT) if it transfers to at least one of the five research universities in British Columbia: University of British Columbia; University of British Columbia-Okanagan; Simon Fraser University; University of Victoria; and the University of Northern British Columbia.
For more information on transfer visit the BC Transfer Guide and BCCAT websites.
If your course prerequisites indicate that you need an assessment, please see our Assessment page for more information.