Intermediate Japanese I
Systematic, in-depth study of:
- Syntactic structures
- Stylistic nuances
- Aspects of Japanese culture
The functional-communicative approach is used.
Classroom activities may include: presentation of material by the instructor, practice in pairs and small groups, listening comprehension, audio-visual presentations, discussion of reading materials, task-based conversation practice, and student presentations.
Conversation in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
(May include but not limited to writing and reading exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, written homework, preparation, Final Written Exam)
(May include but not limited to oral tests, oral presentations, listening comprehension, conversation lab, attendance, preparation, class participation, Final Oral Exam)
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in Japanese at the intermediate level in:
- Aural comprehension of authentic language situations.
- Reading comprehension of materials written in a combination of hiragana, katakana and approximately 175 kanji (more for recognition).
- Speech delivery: expressing and supporting an opinion; defending a point of view.
- Written expression: expository writing in a combination of both kana and kanji (as indicated in 2 above).
- Understanding and appreciating differences and similarities in culture.
An second-year Japanese textbook such as:
- Banno et al. GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese II.
- The Japan Times.
- Accompanying workbook and audio materials.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for MODL 2271|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO JAPN 200 (3)|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU JAPN 2200 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG JAPN 1117 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU JAPN 200 (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU JAPA 2110 (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU JAPA 201 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV JAPN 200 (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC INTS 221 (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV GE 1XX (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC PAAS 2XX (1.5)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU JAPA 200 (3)|