Basic Japanese II
Systematic introduction of:
- Basic syntactic structures
- Basic lexicon
- Elements of kanji
- The phonological system of Japanese
- Some aspects of Japanese culture.
The functional-communicative approach is used.
Classroom activities may include: presentation of material by the instructor, practice in pairs and small groups, listening comprehension, audio-visual presentations, task-based conversation practice, and student presentations.
Conversation labs in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
(May include but not limited to writing and reading exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, written homework, preparation, Final Written Exam)
(May include but not limited to oral tests, oral presentations, listening comprehension, conversation lab, attendance, preparation, class participation, Final Oral Exam)
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in Japanese in all tenses, at the basic level in:
- Aural comprehension of simple discourse.
- Reading comprehension of simplified texts, written in Japanese (hiragana, katakana, and a minimum of 145 kanji).
- Speech delivery, such as expressing intentions and desires, reporting indirect discourses, providing reasons, and giving advice.
- Written expression, such as short paragraphs and dialogues, using hiragana, katakana, and kanji.
- Understanding target cultures.
- A beginner-level Japanese textbook, such as: Banno et al. GENKI: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I.
- The Japan Times
- Accompanying workbook and audio materials
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for MODL 1172|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO JAPN 101 (3)|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU JAPN 101 (4)|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU JAPN 1101 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG JAPN 1215 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU JAPN 101 (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU JAPA 1210 (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU JAPA 102 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO JPST 101 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV JAPN 101 (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC INTS 122 (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV JAPN 102 (3)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU JAPA 101 (3)|