- Observation of teaching in ESL classroom/s
- Completion of written teacher and student observation tasks
- Practice teaching
- Practicum advisor and sponsor teacher feedback
- Workshop participation
This teaching practicum experience involves the application of course content from the other courses in the TESL program including lesson planning and delivery, resource selection and development, classroom management, classroom communication skills, reflective practice and professional conduct in the workplace.
In this course, participants have opportunities to:
- Integrate, consolidate, expand and apply knowledge and skills introduced in other TESL courses including lesson planning and delivery, classroom management, and classroom communication strategies.
- Practice teaching a specific group of ESL students.
- Enhance knowledge, competence and confidence in working with ESL students and TESL professionals.
- Reflect on their teaching practice with the support of their sponsor teacher and practicum advisor.
- Gain an understanding of a range of specific teaching issues from the general topic areas of teaching resources, individual differences affecting learning, educational technology and professional communication.
In the classroom teaching portion of the practicum, students will be evaluated by the sponsor ESL instructor and the Douglas College practicum advisor. Students are assigned grades according to their level of achievement on teaching tasks, lesson plans, and employment of class management techniques. Attendance and participation in special topics workshops will also be included in the course grade.
Admission to TESL Program