3. Textural elements of pop music:
4. Harmonic Practices:
6. Repertoire for listening and analysis will be drawn from a wide range of styles such as:
Concepts and techniques are presented and discussed in the lectures.
|Assignments (minimum of 5)||25%|
|Quizzes and Speed Drills (minimum of 10)||20%|
|Tests (minimum of 2)||20%|
At the end of the course, the successful student will be able to:
• identify idiomatic practices in popular music.
• apply core theoretical concepts used to create characteristic sounds in popular music.
• harmonize, arrange and compose excerpts in a popular style with or without a given melody, bass line, or chord progression.
• create simple charts, scores and parts.
• provide written answers to questions on any aspect of the course content.
Required texts (current edition) such as the following:
Tagg, Philip. Everyday Tonality II: Towards a Tonal Theory of What Most People Hear. The Mass Media Scholars Press, Inc., New York & Huddersfield.
Snodgrass, Jennifer Sterling. Contemporary Musicianship:Analysis and the Artist. Oxford University Press.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Alexander College (ALEX)||ALEX HUMN 2XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU MUSI 3XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO MUSC 216 (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Emily Carr University of Art & Design (EC)||No credit||2018/09/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MUSI 3550 (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|North Island College (NIC)||No credit||2018/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CA 1XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MUSC 2XXX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||DOUG MUSC 2312 (3) & DOUG MUSC 2412 (3) = UBCO MUSC 100 (3) & UBCO MUSC 103 (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC HUMN 2XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC MUS 1XX (1.5)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Vancouver Community College (VCC)||VCC MUSC 2303 (3)||2019/05/01 to -|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU MUSC 2nd (3)||2018/09/01 to -|