General College Admission Requirements, excluding Language Proficiency Requirement
FoodSafe Level 1
- English 11 with a minimum grade of “C” or Douglas College acceptable exemptions*.
- All requests for transfer credits or course exemptions must be submitted with the application.
*Acceptable exemptions: EN 12 "P", EN LIT 12 "P", TPC 12 "P", COMM 12 "C".
- Complete an Informed Medical Suitability Declaration (to be completed on Douglas College Form).
- Submit proof of negative TB skin test or chest X-ray, taken no more than three months before the date of application. This may need to be repeated if student was tested more than six months prior to the first clinical experience, or as required by Health Regions.
- Submit a current record of immunity or immunization for Hepatitis B.
*Updated immunizations are strongly recommended.
Criminal Record Check: Specific instructions will be provided by the program Admissions Officer.
We strongly recommend you attend an information session.
A personal interview with the Program Coordinator may be requested.
Access to the Health Care Support Worker Certificate Program for Community Mental Health Worker Graduates
Additional admission requirements
In addition to the admission requirements for all HCSW program options, these admission requirements apply to Community Mental Health Worker program graduates who wish to access the Health Care Assistant component of the HCSW program and to receive credit for previous education and work experience.
- Graduation from Douglas College or a public, post-secondary Community Mental Health Worker Program. (Note: the Introduction to Community Mental Health Certificate program offered through Douglas College Continuing Education is not equivalent to the Community Mental Health Worker Certificate).
- Current practice experience, such as working with persons with mental illness in a residential or community based facility for a minimum of 1,120 hours within four years of date of application. Submission of a letter from an agency/institution supporting this claim is required.
Graduation from a recognized public, post-secondary Community Mental Health Worker program within one year prior to the date of application.
Access to Health Care Support Worker Certificate Program for Health Care Assistant Graduates
Additional admission requirements
In addition to the admission requirements for all HCSW program options, these admission requirements apply to Health Care Assistants who wish to access the Community Mental Health component of the Program and to receive credit for previous HCA education and work experience.
- Graduation from a Douglas College or a public, post-secondary combined Home Support/Resident Care Attendant or Health Care Assistant program.
- Current practice experience, such as employment in home support and/or residential care for a minimum of 1,120 hours within four years of date of application. Submission of a letter from an agency/institution supporting this claim is required.
Graduation from a recognized public post-secondary Health Care Assistant or Home Support/Resident Care Attendant program within one year prior to the date of application.
|HCSW 1101||Concepts for Practice||3|
|HCSW 1102||Lifestyle and Introduction to Practice||3|
|HCSW 1103||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|HCSW 1104||Health Challenges 1||3|
|HCSW 1105||Applied Practice Experiences 1||6|
|HCSW 1106||Health Challenges 2||3|
|HCSW 1107||Cognitive and Mental Health Challenges||3|
|HCSW 1108||Applied Practice Experiences 2||6.75|
|HCSW 1109||Applied Practice Experiences 3||3.75|
|HCSW 1165||Concepts for Mental Health Practice I (not required for students continuing from semester 2)||3|
|HCSW 1170||Concepts for Mental Health Practice II||3|
|HCSW 1180||Recovery in Mental Health||3|
|HCSW 1190||Therapeutic Relationships in Mental Health||3.25|
|HCSW 1195||Clinical Practice I for CMHWs||0.75|
|HCSW 1200||Clinical Practice II for CMHWs||2.75|