- Properties and costume research and sourcing through library and other resources such as retail and wholesale suppliers and custom fabricators.
- Role and responsibilities of the properties head including script analysis and breakdown, cost estimation, crew scheduling and supervision, safety, records and accounting.
- Specialty construction techniques including materials and procedures for hand, dress, and trim properties.
- Related topics including the props person’s role in the film/tv industry set decorator, props department, props buyer, unions and associations.
Students will receive 1 to 1 ½ hours of lecture/demonstration followed by 2 ½ to 3 hours of studio per week, including independent work and one-on-one instruction.
|Attitude as indicated by work habits, safety, cleanliness and housekeeping||10%|
|Research assignment x 2||30%|
|Construction projects x 3||30%|
|Final project that combines the elements of instruction||30%|
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Learn and demonstrate safe working procedures when using equipment, tools and materials common to the properties and costume shop.
- Learn and demonstrate research skills and techniques for specific properties with an emphasis on non-traditional sources.
- Learn and demonstrate a variety of properties and costume construction techniques.
- Have a basic understanding of the role and responsibilities of the properties and costume head.
- Have a basic understanding of properties for film/tv, unions and associations.
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
Example: Gillette, Michael. Theatrical Design and Production. 3rd ed. Toronto: Mayfield Publishing, 1997
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for STGE 2307|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ARTS 2XXX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO VISA 2nd (2)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 2nd (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV THEA 1XX (2)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC THEA 2XX (1)|