Introduction to Practice for Child and Youth Care Counsellors
Students who have taken CFCS 1160 or CYCC 1142 or CFCS 1142 will not receive additional credit for CYCC 1141.
The following global ideas guide the design and delivery of this course:
- Child and youth care practitioners support children, youth, families and communities in culturally appropriate ways, in a broad range of settings.
- Reflection on self are integral to effective child and youth care practice and on-going personal and professional development.
- The process of growth in the lives of children and youth occurs with support, encouragement, planning, discussions, action and evaluation.
- Field Visits
- Collaborative Learning
This course will conform to Douglas College policy regarding the number and weighting of evaluations. Typical means of evaluation would include a combination of:
- Research Essays and Reports
- Field Research
This is a letter graded course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the five competencies of professional Child and Youth Care practice.
- Describe human interaction, demonstrating awareness of cultural context and individual bias.
- Demonstrate self-awareness and impact of own values on practice.
- Collect, analyze, and present information professionally in oral and written form (APA 6th Ed.).
Other texts and materials as assigned.
Enrolment in CYCC Program or permission of Coordinator
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for CYCC 1141|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV CYC 101 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC CYC 1XX (1.5)|
CYCC 1141 001 is restricted to FT CYC degree students.
CYCC 1141 002 is restricted to ONLINE CYCC Diploma students.