- script analysis
- period and style
- previous productions
- set and costume design
- budgets and schedule
- Developing the Concept:
- directions and colours
- brightness and key light
- wish list
- reality list
- lighting plot, rough and final
- instrument schedule, dimmer hook-up
- Related topics:
- hang session
- focus session
- cueing session
- rehearsals and run of show
- Other topics:
- lighting for film/tv
- special effects and pyrotechnics
- gels, filters, and accessories
- technical packages for theatres
Students will receive three hours of lecture/demonstration per week that includes independent work and one on one instruction.
Ten assignments, worth 10% each, that will include design projects, script analysis, lighting plot, documentation and rationale.
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- learn and demonstrate industry standard practices for lighting design for the stage.
- be able to develop samples of various document styles for use in their portfolio.
- learn and demonstrate appropriate concepts and documentation as preparation for their own design or to assist a professional designer.
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester. eg;
Gillette, Michael. Theatrical Design and Production. 3rd Ed. Toronto: Mayfield Publishing, 1997.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||Any 2 of DOUG STGE 1100 (2) or DOUG STGE 2311 (2) or DOUG STGE 2312 (2) or DOUG STGE 2411 (2) = UBCO THTR 150 (3) & UBCO THTR 1st (1)||2006/09/01 to 2016/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO VISA 2nd (2)||2005/05/01 to 2006/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 2nd (2)||2010/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV THEA 3XX (2)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC THEA 2XX (1)||2004/09/01 to -|