Theories of Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Science, Diversity, and Ethics in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- The Effectiveness of Contemporary Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Evidence-Based Practice.
- Common Factors in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Contextual and Collaborative Assessment.
- Psychodynamic Theory and Techniques.
- Interpersonal Theory and Techniques.
- Humanistic Theory and Techniques.
- Cognitive Behavioural Theory and Techniques.
- Narrative Therapy and Social Constructivism.
- Family Theory and Techniques.
Methods of instruction may include:
- group activities
- audiovisual media
- guest lectures.
The course evaluation will be in accordance with Douglas College and Psychology Department policies. Evaluations will be based on the course objectives. The specific evaluation criteria will be provided by the instructor at the beginning of the semester.
An example of a possible evaluation scheme would be:
Research paper - 20%
Exams - 3 at 20% each - 60%
Presentation - 20%
Total - 100%
At the conclusion of the course the successful student will be able to demonstrate knowledge of:
- Contemporary counselling and psychotherapy theories.
- Contemporary counselling and psychotherapy interventions.
- The effectiveness of contemporary counselling and psychotherapy interventions.
- Common factors and skills that are core to all counselling and psychotherapy interventions.
- Evidence-based practice and empirically supported therapies.
- Cultural and diversity issues in counselling and psychotherapy.
- Ethical issues in counselling and psychotherapy.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students:
Textbook(s) such as the following, the list to be updated periodically:
- Corey, G. (2017). Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy (10th ed.). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning.
- Sue, D., & Sue, D.M. Foundations of counselling and psychotherapy: Evidence-based practices for a diverse society. (Current ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Canada.
- Capuzzi, D. & Gross, D. Counselling and psychotherapy: Theories and interventions (Current ed.). Alexandria, VA: American Counselling Association.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for PSYC 3375|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG PSYC 2426 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU EDUC 323 (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU PSYC 3XXX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU PSYC 331 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO PSYO 2nd (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV PSYC 2nd (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC PSYC 3XX (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV PSYC 3XX (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC ED-D 418 (1.5)|