Position: Instructor and Psychosocial Rehabilitation Program Coordinator
Department: Psychology/Social Science
Faculty: Humanities and Social Sciences
Office: NW N3442
Office Phone: (604) 527-5314
Cell Phone: (778) 888-6422
Education and Credentials
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Africa Mental Health Foundation, 2015
- Ph.D. Faculty of Medicine, Dept. Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy, University of British Columbia, 2013
- M.A. (Leadership in Health Care) Royal Roads University, Victoria, British Columbia, 2006
- Diploma Occupational Therapy, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, 1986
Academic and Professional Profile
Regina has worked in community mental health practice for over 20 years, is currently coordinating the graduate Psychosocial Rehabilitation Diploma at Douglas College and an educational platform for stakeholders in recovery-oriented PSR (please see psyrehab.ca). Regina is also a Clinical Assistant Professor, Dep. Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy | Faculty of Medicine at the University of British Columbia. Regina has a keen interest in research activities re recovery, activity health and health and wellness in low and middle-income countries.
To offer learners a transformational and meaningful educational experience that will contribute to their academic standing, potential employment opportunities and personal learning regarding recovery-oriented psychosocial rehabilitation.
- PSYC 5002
Research and Specialized Education Activities
- Developing the launch of an innovative credentialing process for peer support workers in British Columbia in partnership with the BC Ministry of Advanced skills and training and BC Advanced Practice (2021- 2022).
- Developing a series of educational modules for PSR Practitioners in BC in partnership with Fraser Health Authority, The BC Ministry of Health, and BC Advanced Practice (Grant 250, 000)
- Principal Investigator for piloting an innovative approach to mental health through a Recovery College framework in partnership with Vancouver Coastal Health and Canadian Mental Health Association as supported by a one year Mitacs Grant through UBC, (2021 – 2022)
- PI for BC on a national study on National CHIR funded grant on Implementation Recovery Guidelines to Practice with 33 partners to implement Canadian Recovery Guidelines in four Canadian cities with McGill University, Montreal, Canada (80, 000 grant from Michael Smith Research BC) – 2015 present
- Member of the expert panel in Walk the Talk toolkit on Implementation Science https://walkthetalktoolkit.ca/ to be launched January 2022 (2021- 2022)
- Piloting the implementation of an evidence-based intervention called Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) at Douglas College to support the health and Wellbeing of students (2019- 2021)
- Member of conference planning that successfully held the first conference in BC relating to cognitive remediation and mental illness (October 14, 2017) for http://bcpsychosis.org/2017/12/05/bc-hosts-first-canadian-conference-cognitive-remediation/ Our team is planning a new 3-day workshop with Dr. Chris Bowie is scheduled for Spring 2020 to support the implementation of Cognitive Remediation within BC. We are also in the process of developing 4 short educational videos to support this work.
- Was an active conference planning member to host a 2-day conference for CBT for psychosis and Associated Trauma November 6 & 7, 2017, New Westminster, BC
- Collaboratively developed an evidence-informed culturally sensitive recovery-oriented psychosocial rehabilitation toolkit to support the health and wellness of individuals who live with mental illness in low-income countries Based on a research project supported by a grant for Grand Challenges Canada based in Machakos district of Kenya 2016.
- Developed a Psychosocial Rehabilitation Advanced Practice website and a community of practice for knowledge translation regarding Recovery-oriented PSR “Best Practices” In partnership with BC Ministry of Health and Douglas College, 2014-present (see psyrehab.ca website) – we now have over 70 high-quality, free, and evidence-informed webinars available to stakeholders.
- Advisory Committee Member for the Imagining Inclusion Research Project (Phase 1) and Upstream Change Research Project (Phase 11) (Collaboration with Douglas College, Simon Fraser University, York University, and Open Door Group and funded by the Vancouver Foundation). 2015- 2019.
- Research collaborator with a Community Mental Health Program, Simon Fraser University and the University of Illinois at Chicago on the impact of a bursary program on recovery for participants “Collaborative Research in Self-Directed Care: Exploring the Impact of Bursary Programs”. 2013- 2015.
Professional Affiliations and Community Service
- 2019 - present, Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR)/Réadaptation Psychosociale (RPS), BC - Secretary
- 2018 - present, Canadian Association of Occupational Therapy – Conference Abstract Reviewer
- 2018 - present, Bell Let’s Talk – Grant Reviewer
- 2017 - present, Cognitive Remediation British Columbia Steering - Committee Member
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR)/Réadaptation Psychosociale, Canada
- 2017 - present, Certification Reviewer
- 2015 - present, Implementing Recovery Guidelines Into Services: A pan-Canadian study – PI BC
- 2021 - present, Implementing Recovery Colleges in BC – PI
- 2017 - present, PSR/RPS Canada, Scientific Committee
- 2016 - 2019, Consumer and Family Voice Committee -Canadian Mental Health/Vancouver-Fraser Branch
- 2016 - 2019, Imagining Inclusion: Creating upstream change in community M Health Advisory Committee
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR)/Réadaptation Psychosociale (RPS), Canada
- 2015 - present, Board Member
- 2014 - present, Create Kenya Investigator Collaborator - Team Member
- 2013-2019, Curriculum Committee, Master of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, UBC
- 2011- 2019, Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR)/Réadaptation Psychosociale (RPS), BC - Co-Chair
- 2010- 2016, Canadian Mental Health/Vancouver-Fraser Branch Board Member
- 2010- 2017, Mental Health Practice Colum. Occupational Therapy Now - Editor
- 2006- 2013, Consumers for knowledge exchange and research group (ConKer) - Member
Hobbies and Interests
Travelling, learning and gardening
MacDougall, A., G, Lysaght, R., Casey, R., Le Ber, M., J, Mutiso, V., Ndetei, D., Krupa, T. (2021). Heeding the Call of an Innovative Paradigm for Mental Health Interventions in Low- and Middle-income Countries. Psychiatr Serv... doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.202000125. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34809438.
MacDougall AG, Krupa T, Lysaght R, Mutiso V, Casey R, Janzen Le Ber MJ, Ruhara R, Price E, Kidd S, Ndetei D. (2021). The CREATE strategy of rehabilitation and recovery for mental illness in low resource settings: Development processes and evaluation from a proof of concept study in Kenya. International Journal of Mental Health, 1–29. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207411.2021.1926725
O’Rourke, J. J., Casey, R., Cusick, J., Lochan, S., Sterling, M., Keszthelyi, S., & Higenbottam, J. (2021). Wellness Recovery Action Plan: An accessible mental health self-management innovation for college students. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health.40 (2), ttps://doi.org/10.7870/cjcmh-2021-016
Piat, M., Wainwright, M., Cherkas, D., LeBlanc, S., Sofouli, E., Rivest, MP., Albert, H., Casey, R., O'Rourke J. J., & Labonté, L. (2021). Identifying and understanding the contextual factors that shaped mid-implementation outcomes during the COVID-19 pandemic in organizations implementing mental health recovery innovations into services. Implementation Science Communications, 2(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s43058-021-00206-w
Piat, M., Wainwright, M., Sofouli, E., Albert, H., Casey, R., Rivest, MP., Briand, C., Kasdorf, S., Labonté, L., LeBlanc, S., O'Rourke, J. (2021). The CFIR Card Game: A New Approach for Working with Implementation Teams to Identify Challenges and Strategies, Implementation Science Communications,2, (1), https://doi.org/10.1186/s43058-020-00099-1
Sofouli, E., Wainwright, M., Albert, H., Rivest, MP., Casey, R., LeBlanc, S., Labonté, L., O'Rourke J. J., Kasdorf, S. & Piat, M. (in press, accepted Jan 5, 2021). Implementing mental health recovery guidelines into services: A strategy combining implementation teams and a facilitated planning process. Evaluation and Program Planning.
Casey R, Krupa T, Lysaght R, Canes M, Ngan N, Little J, Jayaraman V, Ruhara R, Mutiso V, Ndetei D, Janzen Le Ber M, Kidd S, Price E, MacDougall A. (2018). The Development and Application of a Recovery-oriented Psychosocial Rehabilitation Toolkit in Kenya: A community-based research initiative for social inclusion. Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Mental Health.5, 199-207 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40737-018-0122-4