Set Construction II
- reading and interpreting plans
- working drawings
- basic design
- cost estimation
- forces on rigging
- load calculations
- safe working loads for the counterweight system
- natural, synthetic and wire rope
- flying techniques, block and fall, counter-weight system
- materials: pipe, tube and channel
- welding basics, gas and electric
- 2D and 3D scenery
- construction requirements for floors, platforms, ramps and stairs under various loads
- turntables and wagons
Students will receive instruction in the form of lecture/demonstration followed by shop time each week, including independent work and one-on-one instruction.
Assessment will be in accordance with the Douglas College Evaluation Policy. Students are expected to be self-motivated and to demonstrate professionalism, which includes active participation, good attendance, punctuality, effective collaboration, and the ability to meet deadlines.
|Quizzes and exams||20-30%|
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Demonstrate safe working procedures when using equipment, tools and materials common to advanced scene construction techniques including metalwork and rigging.
- Develop and demonstrate skills in:
- advanced construction techniques
- basic engineering
- development and interpretation of shop plans
- cost estimation
- advanced rigging techniques.
- Develop creative problem solving skills through use of advanced construction techniques and specialized materials.
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
- Carter, Paul. Backstage Handbook. Shelter Island: Broadway Press (current edition)
- Gillette, Michael. Theatrical Design and Production. Toronto: Mayfield Publishing (current edition)
- CSA Grade 1 Green Triangle Safety Footwear.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for STGE 2306|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ARTS 2XXX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 2XXX (2)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO VISA 2nd (2)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 2nd (2)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV THEA 1XX (2)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC THEA 2XX (1)|