- working drawings
- forces on rigging
- load calculations
- natural, synthetic and wire rope
- flying techniques, block and fall, counter-weight system
- materials, pipe, channel
- welding basics, gas and electric
- 2D and 3D scenery
- deck design, load calculations and construction
- staircases, trusses and beams, turntables and wagons
Students will receive 1 to 1 ½ hours of lecture/demonstration followed by 2 ½ to 3 hours of shop per week, including independent work and one-on-one instruction.
|Drafting and problem solving in deck design||25%|
|Problem solving in rigging||20%|
|Final project that combines the elements of instruction||25%|
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Learn and demonstrate safe working procedures when using equipment, tools and materials common to scene construction.
- Learn the use of a variety of construction materials and demonstrate the theatrical construction techniques by which they are used.
- Develop creative problem solving skills through use of advanced construction techniques materials.
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
- Gillette, Michael. Theatrical Design and Production. Toronto: Mayfield Publishing (current edition)
- Carter, Paul. Backstage Handbook. Shelter Island: Broadway Press (current edition)
- CSA Grade 1 Green Triangle Safety Footwear.
Enrolment in SET program or permission of instructor
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ARTS 2XXX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 2XX (2)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 2XXX (2)||2004/09/01 to 2009/04/30|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 2XXX (2)||2010/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit||2009/05/01 to 2010/12/31|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO VISA 2nd (2)||2005/05/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 2nd (2)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV THEA 1XX (2)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC THEA 2XX (1)||2004/09/01 to -|