Intermediate Chinese I (Mandarin)
Systematic introduction of:
- Intermediate syntactic structures (daily expression and some idiomatic phrases)
- Intermediate lexicon (to a minimum of an additional 200 lexical items)
- Some aspects of Chinese culture
The functional and communicative approach is used where appropriate. Classroom activities include:
- presentation of material by the instructor, practice in pairs and small groups, listening comprehension, audiovisual presentations, on-line materials and conversation labs in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
(May include but not limited to writing and reading exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, written homework, preparation, Final Written Exam)
(May include but not limited to oral tests, oral presentations, listening comprehension, conversation lab, attendance, preparation, class participation, Final Oral Exam)
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in Chinese at the intermediate level in:
- Aural comprehension of authentic language situations
- Reading comprehension of intermediate-level texts
- Speech delivery; expressing an opinion; defending a point of view
- Written expression: at an intermediate-level
- Appreciation of cultural differences and similarities
- Chinese Link Level 2 Part 1 Intermediate Chinese Wu and Yu Prentice Hall (Pearson Publishing)
- Chinese character book for Chinese Link Level 2 Part 1 Wu and Yu
- My Chinese Lab with Pearson E text
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for MODL 2291|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MAND 2200 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG CHIN 1117 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CHIN 1XX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MLAN 2XXX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU LANG 2XX (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ARTS 1st (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV CHIN 231 (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC INTS 261 (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV GE 1XX (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||DOUG MODL 2291 (3) & DOUG MODL 2292 (3) = UVIC PAAS 218 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC PAAS 2XX (1.5)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU CHIN 2nd (3)|
MODL 2291 001 - Students must ALSO register in conversation lab MODL 2291 L01, L02, or L03.
This course can count as a relevant course in an Associate of Arts specialization in Modern Languages or in an Associate of Arts specialization in Intercultural and International Studies.