- Room acoustics: resonant modes and modal patterns
- Types of room design: neutral, characteristic and variable rooms
- Soundproofing: STC, construction techniques and HVAC considerations
- Equipment placement: ergonomics and ideal sound reproduction.
- Acoustical treatment: Sabine’s Law, reflective and absorptive surfaces, diffusion, wall treatments and bass traps
- Wiring and connections: proper interconnection, power supply, grounding of studio gear
- Studio monitoring systems: flush mounted versus free standing
- Maintaining equipment: soldering and equipment cleaning
- Introduction to large studio design: acoustics, patch bays and studio interconnect systems
Lecture/demonstration. Students will work alongside the instructor, in a recording studio. Students will be expected to complete regular assignments and projects outside of class time. These can be done in the lab, the studio, or at home.
|Tests/Quizzes (minimum of 2)||30%|
Through lecture/demonstrations and hands-on studio work, students will learn the basic concepts necessary to set up and maintain a project recording studio. Topics covered will include room acoustics and treatment, equipment choice and installation, wiring and doing basic maintenance. An introduction to large studio issues will also be offered.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to setup and maintain a typical project studio. Students will be able to understand and apply the following:
- Room acoustics
- Types of room design
- Equipment placement
- Acoustical treatment
- Wiring and connections
- Studio monitoring systems
- Maintaining equipment
- Introduction to large studio design
No texts or materials are required. All required hardware and software for the completion of assignments and projects is available in the studio.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|