This course provides learning opportunities in contact lenses and optical technologies at an advanced level. Students will apply knowledge and skills from related theory and laboratory courses to the clinical dispensary. Students will continue their clinical practice in a retail contact lens practice or the on campus clinic. They will complete their clinical skills under the direct supervision of a program approved licensed eyecare professional.
Means of Assessment
The course evaluation is consistent with Douglas College evaluation policy. An evaluation schedule is presented at the beginning of the course.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate progressive competency with the use of instruments for soft and gas permeable contact lens fitting and analysis
- Demonstrate the steps of a typical soft or gas permeable lens pre-fit evaluation, diagnostic fitting, and post-fit evaluation
- Demonstrate proper soft and gas permeable lens care and hygiene
- Access online pharmaceutical information on ocular medications
- Perform gas permeable lens parameter modifications
- Perform an over-refraction process in a typical contact lens fitting
- Describe and perform an automated sight-tight testing procedure
- Describe the steps in a refraction assessment
- Describe and perform important steps in boutique eyeglass and contact lens strategies
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students:
A list of required and optional textbooks and materials is provided for students at the beginning of each semester.