- The history and development of the human resource management function.
- Government legislation, human rights, compliance and their impact on decision-making.
- Planning for human resource needs. Job analysis.
- Staffing the organization. Recruitment, selection and placement. Procedures. Decisions and constraints. Orientation, socialization and accommodation.
- Appraising and compensating employees. Performance evaluation. Job evaluation. Compensation systems. Indirect compensation.
- Training and developing employees. Managing employee careers.
- Establishing and maintaining effective labour relations. Collective representation. Interaction between union and management.
- Analyzing and improving the work environment. Health and safety. Quality of work-life. Stress management. Personnel data collection.
- Terminating employees. Protecting the interests of employers while respecting employee rights.
- Trends and comparisons. Personnel audit. Future challenges.
Lectures, seminars, role-playing, case analyses and group discussions.
|Term Paper||0% – 20%|
|Term Tests||25% - 40%|
|Final Examination||25% - 30%|
|Cases, Assignments and/or Presentations||10% -20%|
|Participation||5% - 10%|
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- identify many of the issues and challenges involved in the planning, recruitment, maintenance, development, compensation and appraisal of an effective and efficient workforce;
- identify and apply some of the methods utilized in human resource management in a variety of business situations;
- demonstrate a knowledge of the human resource function as it relates to other managerial functions such as finance, marketing and production;
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
- Dessler and Cole, Human Resources Management in Canada, Latest Edition, Pearson
- Schwind, H. Canadian Human Resources Management, Latest Edition, McGraw-Hill
- Other textbooks as chosen by the Instructor.
30 Course Credits OR Instructor Approval
No corequisite courses.
Courses listed here are equivalent to this course and cannot be taken for further credit:
- No equivalency courses
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|BC Institute of Technology (BCIT)||BCIT HRMG 2150 (2.5) or BCIT HRMG 3105 (4)||2009/01/01 to -|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO BUS 210 (3)||2013/01/01 to -|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BADM 302 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU BUSI 1250 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG BUSM 2115 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Okanagan College (OC)||OC BUAD 269 (3)||2010/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU HRMN 2820 (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU BUSI 352 (3)||2007/09/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU BUSI 2XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2007/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO MGMT 3rd (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ARTS 2nd (3)||2005/05/01 to 2009/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ELEV 2nd (3)||2009/05/01 to 2018/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 330 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 226 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC COM 2XX (1.5)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Vancouver Community College (VCC)||VCC HOSP 2410 (3)||2020/09/01 to -|