The functional and communicative approaches will be used.
Classroom activities include: presentation of material by the instructor, practice in pairs, listening comprehension, audio-visual presentations, and conversation practice in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
- More complex syntactic structures.
- Basic lexicon.
- The phonological system of French.
- The culture of the Francophone world.
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in French in all tenses and moods at the intermediate level in:
- Aural comprehension of simple discourse in various tenses.
- Reading comprehension of simplified texts.
- Speech delivery: express feelings and reactions and narrate in the past.
- Written expression: guided composition
- Understanding target cultures.
(May include, but not limited to, writing and reading exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, written homework, preparation, final written exam.)
(May include, but not limited to, oral tests, oral presentations, listening comprehension, conversation lab, attendance, preparation, class participation, final oral exam.)
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
An intermediate-level French textbook such as:
- Terrell, et al. Deux mondes: A Communicative Approach. McGraw-Hill.
- Terrell, et al. Deux mondes: A Communicative Approach. Cahier d’exercices. McGraw-Hill.