Applied Community Studies
Disability & Community Studies
Education Assist. and Inclus.
Date of First Offering
Certificate in Education Assistance and Inclusion
Length of Program
Applicants must meet the admission requirements listed below:
- General College Admission Requirements
- Applicants who have completed 9 or more post-secondary credits must be in good academic standing (with a minimum GPA of 1.5) for admission into any CFCS program.
- Provide evidence of completion of at least 60 hours of supervised work (paid or volunteer) in a field-related setting. Applicants will be mailed a verification of volunteer/work experience form after they have applied to the program. Forms are to be completed by the applicant's direct supervisor.
- Two additional professional reference letters attesting to the applicant's suitability to the program.
- A current resume.
- A letter of intent from the applicant, stating the reasons for choosing the program, long and short term goals, and the applicant's related strengths and limitations.
- Applicants may be required to participate in an interview with the department to further determine suitability to the program.
- A Criminal Record Check (information will be provided by the Office of the Registrar).
- Successful completion of 30 credits
- 25% (7.5 credits) of all coursework must be completed at Douglas College for students using transfer credit from other institutions, and/or have successfully challenged courses through PLAR.
- Students are required to submit a copy of a current First Aid with CPR Certificate. The course may be Standard or Emergency First Aid, with the training consisting of a minimum of 8 hours. The CPR includes training for either or both adult and child.
|CFCS 1130||Change and Development: Lifespan||3.0|
|DACS 1140||Introduction to Practice||3.0|
|DACS 1150||Teaching and Learning: Foundations||3.0|
|DACS 1170||Characteristics of Exceptionalities||3.0|
|DACS 1250||Teaching and Learning: Universal Design for Learning||3.0|
|DACS 1256||Teaching and Learning: Introduction to Communication and Behaviour||3.0|
|DACS 1280||Foundations of Family Support||3.0|
|DACS 2320||Working with Others||3.0|
|DACS 2370||Personal Assistance||1.5|
|DACS 1240||Practicum 1||4.5|
|Total Credits for Credential||30.0|
For students admitted to the program prior to Fall 2020:
- CCSD 2334 and CCSD 2335 may be used as a substitution for DACS 1280.
- CCSD 1170 and BHIN 1230 or CCSD 1170 and CCSD 1121 or BHIN 1230 and CCSD 1170 may be used as a substitution for DACS 1170.
- CCSD 1260 or BHIN 1256 may be used as a substitution for DACS 1256.
- CMNS 1210, or CMNS 1216, or CMNS 1217, or CMNS 2316, or CMNS 2317 may be used as a substitution for DACS 2320.