Areas of responsibility: audio, lighting, rigging, communications, staging, construction, electrical, special effects, crew estimation, and safety.
Production venues: production companies, road houses, community halls, summer festivals, special events, touring companies, and educational institutions.
Role and responsibilities during Pre-production including: script analysis, design assessment, production timetables, problem solving, budget and cost estimation, product research and applications, responsibilities before, during and after production run.
Role and responsibilities during Production including: safety issues, materials list and acquisition, supervision of departments, set-in, run, and strike.
Students will receive three hours of lecture/demonstration per week that includes independent work and one on one instruction.
|Set Construction Drawings||10%|
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should:
- Be able to describe the inter-relationship of the technical director with the design team and the various production departments.
- Be able to describe the duties and responsibilities of the technical director.
- Learn and demonstrate competent technical direction in pre-production planning including production schedules, budgets, and any safety issues.
- Become familiar with production execution for various venues including road houses, festivals and special events, and production houses.
- Develop a personal technical binder of material collected throughout the course.
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
Example: Gillette, Michael. Theatrical Design and Production. 3rd. Ed. Toronto: Mayfield Publishing, 1997.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 2nd (2)||2010/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC UNSP 2XX (2)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV THEA 499 (4)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC THEA 2XX (1)||2004/09/01 to -|