Applicants must meet the admission requirements listed below:
- General College Admission Requirements
- Applicants who have completed 9 or more postsecondary credits must be in good academic standing (with a minimum GPA of 1.5) for admission into any CFCS program.
- Provide evidence of completion of at least 60 hours of supervised work (paid or volunteer) in a department-related setting. Applicants will be mailed a verification of volunteer/work experience form after they have applied to the program. Forms are to be completed by the applicant's direct supervisor.
- Two additional professional reference letters attesting to the applicant's suitability to the program.
- A current resume.
- A letter of intent from the applicant, stating the reasons for choosing the program, long and short term goals, and the applicant's related strengths and limitations.
- Applicants may be required to participate in an interview with the department to further determine suitability to the program.
- A Criminal Record Check (information will be provided by the Office of the Registrar).
- Successful completion of 45 credits
- 25% of all coursework must be completed at Douglas College for students using transfer credit from other institutions, and/or have successfully challenged courses through PLAR.
- Students are required to submit a copy of a current First Aid with CPR Certificate. The course may be Standard or Emergency First Aid, with the training consisting of a minimum of 8 hours. The CPR must include training for both the adult and child.
* It is recommended that certificate students complete their English Language requirement in the first semester, or before the start of the third semester.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|CCSD 1121||Personal and Professional Development||1.50|
|CFCS 1130||Change and Development: Lifespan||3.00|
|CCSD 1140||Introduction to Practice||3.00|
|CCSD 1150||Teaching and Learning: Foundations||3.00|
|CCSD 1170||Exploring Exceptionalities||1.50|
|CCSD 1220||Working with Others||3.00|
|CCSD 1250||Teaching and Learning: Adaptations and Modifications||3.00|
|CCSD 1260||Alternative and Augmentative Communication||3.00|
|CCSD 1270||Perspectives on Disability||1.50|
|CCSD 1240**||Practicum I||4.50|
|CCSD 2230||Support Across the Lifespan||3.00|
|CCSD 2334||Supporting Families||1.50|
|CCSD 2335||Person-Centered Thinking and Accountability||1.50|
|CCSD 2350||Teaching and Learning: Positive Behaviour Supports||3.00|
|CCSD 2370||Personal Assistance||1.50|
|CCSD 2340**||Practicum II||4.50|
|* Select one course from the following 4 options:|
|CMNS 1110||Workplace Writing for Child, Family and Community Studies||3.00|
|CMNS 1115||Practical Writing||3.00|
|ENGL 1130||Academic Writing||3.00|
|UT English Course||Any UT English course with a grade of C-||3.00|
|Total Credits for Credential||45.00|