Business Law (Concentration)
The Concentration in Business Law is the first designation of its kind in British Columbia. It is offered as a special designation to students in the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) program who have an interest in supplementing their business education with a series of courses focused on specific legal topics and issues relevant to the modern business professional.
Acquiring a sound knowledge of the basic principles of business law is essential in today’s ever changing, highly complex and heavily regulated business environment. The Concentration provides you with practical skills for the business world that will distinguish you from graduates of other business programs. Obtaining a Concentratation in Business Law does not permit you to practice law or gain academic qualifications for admission to the Law Society Admission Program.
There are no separate admission requirements for a concentration, however the student must be enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program in order to complete a concentration.
Concentration in Business Law:
- This concentration is only available to students in the Bachelor of Business Administration degrees at Douglas College.
- Successful completion of 12 credits; a minimum of six credits upper level courses
- Students who have already taken and received credits for the required courses in their Bachelor's degree program can also apply the courses towards the requirements for this concentration.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.33 (C+) for the courses required to earn the concentration.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|Select four courses from the following options:|
|BLAW 13201||Introductory Business Law||3.00|
|BLAW 37001||Fundamentals of International Trade Law||3.00|
|BLAW 37101||Sales and Marketing Law||3.00|
|BLAW 37201||Business Law for Accountants||3.00|
|BLAW 37301, 2||Corporate and Financial Planning Law||3.00|
|BLAW 37501||Employment Law||3.00|
|BLAW 37601||Labour Relations||3.00|
|BLAW 37701||Real Estate Law||3.00|
|BLAW 3780||Negotiation Skills||3.00|
|BLAW 47201||Procurement Law and Contract Interpretation||3.00|
1) BLAW courses were formally BUSN courses.
3) BUSN 4490 can count towards the Concentration if taken before September 2016.
Program Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this program and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the program, consider the previous version as the applicable version.