The functional and communicative approach will be used.
Classroom activities include: presentation of material by the instructor, practice in pairs, listening comprehension, audio-visual presentations, and conversation practice in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
- Basic syntactic structures.
- Basic lexicon.
- The phonological system of French.
- The culture of the Francophone world.
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in French (present and past tenses) at the basic level in:
- Aural comprehension of simple discourse.
- Reading comprehension of simplified texts.
- Speech delivery: extend greetings, express needs, ask questions and give replies.
- Written expression: simple sentences and short dialogues.
- Understanding target cultures.
(May include, but not limited to, writing and reading exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, written homework, preparation, final written exam.)
(May include, but not limited to, oral tests, oral presentations, listening comprehension, conversation lab, attendance, preparation, class participation, final oral exam.)
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
A beginner-level French textbook such as:
- Terrell, et al. Deux mondes: A Communicative Approach. McGraw Hill.
- Terrell, et al. Deux mondes: A Communicative Approach. Cahier d’exercices.
MODL 1101 (Minimum Grade of C) or French 11 (Minimum Grade of P) or Assessment (see calendar).