Lectures, seminars and/or case discussions.
- Understanding the Tourism Industry
- the impact of tourism as a worldwide economic, environmental, cultural and social force.
- the impact of tourism on the economy at the local, provincial and global level.
- tourism functions at the local, provincial and national levels.
- the relationship between tourism and hospitality
- trends in the tourism and hospitality industry
- Business Operation in a Hospitality Environment
- the foundations of business
- societal issues and business
- forms of business ownership
- small business entrepreneurship and franchising
- unique aspects of the hospitality business
- Organization and Management of the Hospitality Business
- introduction to management
- the role of organizations
- professional and government organizations that impact on the hospitality industry.
- Business Management in the Hospitality Industry
- marketing basics as applied to the hospitality industry
- the role of accounting and management information systems
- effective human resource management and its importance in hospitality operations
- Organizational Behaviour
- organizational structures and behaviour within these structures
- organizational communications models
- The key factors in promoting organizational effectiveness.
- Other Tourism Businesses
- Introduction to other tourism businesses including casinos, clubs and cruise ships
- Unique management challenges presented by these and all other sectors of the tourism industry
- The interrelationship between all businesses operating within the tourism sector
- Career opportunities in the tourism industry
- Examine the Canadian business system and its environment with respect to tourism operations, including the forms of business ownership and societal issues;
- Describe the characteristics of the tourism industry from a management perspective including the models for studying tourism and the travel motivators which directly impact the business;
- Discuss the interrelationship of the eight sectors of the tourism industry and the interrelationship of the industry sectors;
- Identify issues and trends in the tourism industry and discuss how they effect the management of a hospitality oriented business;
- Analyze the role of managers in the tourism industry and their importance to the effective operation of a hospitality business;
- Relate the four functional areas of business (production, marketing, finance and personnel) as each relates to the hospitality industry -- focusing on the major responsibilities of the hospitality manager;
- Discuss the structure and function of human behaviour within organizations in general and tourism oriented organizations in particular;
- Articulate the principles of effective communication, motivation, team building, coaching, conflict management and change management especially as applied to the successful operation of a service oriented business;
|Interactive Presentations||10% - 20%|
|Quizzes/Assignments||10% - 20%|
|Research Project(s)||20% - 30%|
STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE ALL COMPONENTS OF THE COURSE TO OBTAIN CREDIT FOR THE COURSE.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students will be selected from:
Howell, Ellison, Wright text-decoration: Passport An Introduction to the Tourism Industry, Thompson Learning
Goeldner, Charles, Brent Ritchie text-decoration: Tourism Principles, Practices and Philosophies, JWiley
Various papers, journals, texts on organizational effectiveness.