Selected literary texts (see sample list).
Selected secondary source materials:
- autobiographical material
- literary criticism and theory
- cultural and intellectual history
- other arts (music, fine arts, film, etc.)
- group work
- instructor feedback on students’ written work
A minimum of 15% must be in-class paragraphs or essays.
A minimum of four evaluations, two of which must be academic essays with a combined value of at least 40% of the course grade.
Writing Competency Bar:
A student must achieve a grade of C- or better upon first submission of at least one required essay in order to achieve a grade of better than P in any university-transfer English course.
The successful student should be able to
- recognize the significance of the literary and non-literary or cultural context of a work being studied, such as biographical, historical, mythological, and philosophical contexts;
- read critically secondary sources, such as criticism and other texts by the same author, as an aid to comprehending the primary text being studied;
- read critically and independently works or aspects of works not discussed in class;
- discern both continuity and change within the body of poetry written in English; and
- formulate a thesis on a given subject in one or more specific works and develop this, using suitable textual evidence.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Sample reading list:
- Blake, Songs of Innocence and Experience
- Plath, Ariel
- Yeats, Selected Poetry
Any TWO university-transfer first-year English literature courses, or ONE university-transfer first-year English literature course and ONE university-transfer first-year Creative Writing or English writing course.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU)||FDU ENGL 2XXX (3)||2007/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ENGL 2320 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG ENGL 2239 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU ENGL 2XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||DOUG ENGL 1114 (3) & DOUG ENGL 2314 (3) = SFU ENGL 102 (3) & SFU ENGL 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2016/08/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ENGL 218 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU ENGL 2XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV ENGL 225 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC ENGL 2XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV ENGL 2XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC ENGL 2XX (1.5)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU ENGL 251 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|