Academic Writing Skills Review
- General principles of paragraph and essay development
- Required readings as a basis for writing assignments
- Peer review workshops
- Grammar, pre-writing and revision exercises
- In-class and out-of-class writing
- Instructor feedback on students’ written work
A minimum of seven evaluations including at least two paragraphs and two short essays.
Fifteen percent or more of the evaluated work for the course must be completed in class.
Successful students should be able to
- write clearly and correctly
- apply principles of unity, coherence, and emphasis in their writing
- develop a paragraph using a topic sentence and supporting evidence
- develop an essay using a thesis statement
- plan, evaluate, revise, edit and proofread their writing
- begin to incorporate readings or other source materials into their writing.
Sample reading list:
Lipschutz et al, The Canadian Writer’s Workplace
Any College entrance Language Proficiency Requirement with the exceptions of the Douglas College Course Options in ELLA or ENGU and the assessments listed below. These require the specified higher standard for entry into CMNS, CRWR and ENGL courses.
• a minimum grade of C- in ELLA 0460, or a minimum grade of C- in both ELLA 0465 and 0475, OR
• a minimum grade of C- in ENGU 0450 or ENGU 0455 or ENGU 0490, OR
• Mastery in ELLA 0330 and any two of ELLA 0310, 0320, or 0340, OR
• TOEFL overall score of 83 with a minimum of 21 in Writing, OR
• IELTS overall score of 6.5 with no band below 6.0; for individual bands below 6.0:
• if in Speaking, ELLA 0210 required
• if in Reading or Listening, ELLA 0220 required
• if in Writing, ELLA 0230 and ELLA 0240 required
• CLB score of 8, OR
• CEFR level B2+, OR
• CAEL minimum overall and essay score of 70 (computer or paper based), OR
• recognized equivalent or exemption.
Courses listed here must be completed either prior to or simultaneously with this course:
- No corequisite courses
Courses listed here are equivalent to this course and cannot be taken for further credit:
- No equivalency courses
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for ENGL 1099|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU ENGL 010 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG ENGL 1121 (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV ENGL 099 (3)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||No credit|