This course is for students who wish to upgrade their reading skills for academic and/or employment purposes. The course is designed for students who need guided practice in developing academic reading skills and consolidating good reading habits. This course emphasizes reading longer passages at a reasonable rate, and taking notes for study purposes.
Methods Of Instruction
The instructor will observe and evaluate students’ development and participation in reading activities.
Whole and small group instruction will be combined with individual assistance and student-directed learning. Students will participate in the setting of goals by identifying their communicative and language development needs, and will participate in the selection of learning activities.
Means of Assessment
- Complete assigned skill-development tasks
- Prepare a file of assigned and self-selected readings; highlight and make margin notes on the readings
- Prepare reference lists in APA style
- Prepare a file of writing that meets instructor specified criteria for content and organization, language use and accuracy, and format
These assignments should include:
- informal notes that summarize ideas and information from reading materials
- at least one formal summary of an article
- Complete quizzes, both skill based and content based
- Complete at least one self-assessment of learning strategies, progress, and classroom skills to be discussed with the instructor
- Complete tasks to a specified level of accuracy
This is a Mastery Graded course.
Extend reading competence and language accuracy for a range of educational and/or employment purposes
- Read and understand academic material from a variety of sources
- Take notes for a range of academic purposes
- Use strategies to explore academic material
- Collect, analyze, and organize relevant information from a variety of sources
- Plan, write, revise and edit formal compositions such as summaries
- Monitor and apply strategies to improve accuracy in grammar, sentence structure, and word choice to a specified level of accuracy
- Participate effectively in a college classroom
- Assess progress
Students may be required to purchase a textbook to be determined by the instructor.