To provide students with an overview of the theories and practices of warehousing and distribution centres. Students are introduced to the general workings of warehouses, including the movement and storage of goods, tools and equipment used and the commonly used security measures. This course will also include basic math for the warehouse. WHMIS and First Aid Level One certificates can be obtained in this course.
- Define and use warehouse vocabulary.
- Identify job roles and responsibilities in the warehouse and distribution centres.
- Describe the different kinds of warehouses in which employment may be found.
- Identify warehouse tools and equipment, and demonstrate the safe usage of the equipment.
- Identify the various types of warehouse security.
- Describe layout and movement of goods.
- Describe the correct method of goods storage.
- Demonstrate basic math for the warehouse.
- Obtain WHMIS and First Aid Level One.
Methods Of Instruction
- Class discussions
- Guest speakers
- Site visits
Means of Assessment
- A mastery model of ongoing evaluation will be used.
- A student will have completed the course when he/she has demonstrated through satisfactory completion of exercises and assignments that the course objectives have been achieved.
- Where formal tests are used mastery will be defined as a score of 70% or more.
- The instructor in consultation with each student will monitor progress on a regular basis.
- The student will be expected to maintain regular attendance and progress, actively participate in all activities, and complete all assignments as directed.
- The First Aid Certificate will be awarded when the student can demonstrate practical competency to the external instructor’s satisfaction.
- The WHMIS certificate will be awarded through successful completion of a written exam.
- Identify and demonstrate an understanding of work place expectations and discuss skills learned.
- Develop self-confidence, self-awareness, and assertiveness.
- Use basic number operations in workplace related tasks.
Nil. Topic relevant material will be provided throughout the course.