- Film/Television Hierarchy and Positions:
- Job descriptions and areas of responsibility for producer, director, PM, location manager, 1st AD, 2nd AD, 3rd AD, DOP, Gaffer, Best boy, genie-op, lamp-op, key grip, dolly grip, production designer, art director, sound mixer, boom-op, sfx, craft service/first aid.
- Terminology and Etiquette:
- on set language and terminology
- call times and arriving on set
- working and leaving the set
- professionalism and attitude
- Traffic Control Requirements:
- working with traffic and the public
- radio protocol
- Lighting and Grip Methods:
- grip equipment and terminology
- location power and generators
- lighting sources and colour temperature
- lighting theory for camera
- special effects
- on set safety
Students will receive three hours of lecture/demonstration per week that includes independent work and one on one instruction. Guest speakers and field trips to film/tv studios, equipment rental shops and shooting locations will be included.
|Written in class assignments X 3||15%|
|Research project X 1||25%|
|Written tests X 2||60%|
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should:
- be familiar with the various unions, associations and guilds that are associated with the film and television industry.
- understand the role of the lighting and grip departments on set for film and television production.
- be familiar with the basic production hierarchy and on set terminology for film and television.
- learn the set etiquette and traffic control fundamentals required by the local unions for permittee status.
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
Enrolment in the SET Program or permission of the instructor
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2005/05/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 2nd (2)||2010/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|