- Ensemble repertoire, appropriate to the group’s level
- Basic rehearsal discipline, preparation of parts, concentration and attention to the conductor or leader
- Ensemble listening skills
- Basic skills in music handling, set up, page turning, appropriate part marking
- Efficient use of rehearsal time
- An ability to work well in a group
- An ability to work with a variety of personalities in a compatible way
- Proper stage dress and deportment
Coaching and rehearsal of the instrumental ensemble.
|Assigned excerpts (minimum of four)||50%|
|Contribution to ensemble (tone, dynamics, balance)||25%|
|*Participation (attention and attitude)||25%|
*Grades are based on the instructor’s evaluation of the student’s regular preparation for rehearsals, attentiveness and effort during rehearsals, and musical contribution to the ensemble. Frequently during the semester, certain passages of music will be assigned to be learned for an upcoming rehearsal and will be heard by the instructor. Students are graded on their achievement on these assignments.
Through the exploration of appropriate repertoire, the successful student will be able to demonstrate:
- Sight reading skills
- The ability to establish a group tempo through a pick-up or beat indicated by the leader
- Rhythmic accuracy and control of tempo
- A sense of group dynamics including:
- the overall dynamic of the ensemble
- balance and the relative importance of the various parts
Course materials will be provided by the instructor.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Coast Mountain College (CMTN)||No credit||2017/09/01 to -|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||No credit||2017/09/01 to -|
|Coquitlam College (COQU)||No credit||2017/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU GE 1XX (1)||2017/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2017/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||DOUG MUSC 1184 (1.5) & DOUG MUSC 1284 (1.5) = UBCV MUSC 162 (2)||2017/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2017/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||DOUG MUSC 1184 (1.5) & DOUG MUSC 1284 (1.5) = UVIC MUS 181 (1)||2017/09/01 to -|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||Individual audition required||2017/09/01 to -|