1. Review of introduction to hearing testing and clinical practices
2. Medical history
3. Tympanometry/impedance testing
4. Perform standard audiometric testing in simulation environment
5. Reviewing test results, present findings to the test subject
6. Amplification strategies based on audiometric test results
1. Laboratory or online lecture
2. Application exercises in lab or program approved hearing clinic
3. Independent study of courseware
4. Proficiency tests
5. Laboratory assignments
Evaluation will be carried out in accordance with the Douglas College Evaluation Policy. The instructor will present a written course outline with specific evaluation criteria at the beginning of the semester. Attendance is mandatory for this lab course. Evaluation will be based on the following:
Lab assessments: 0-20%
Written tests: 0-20%
Written midterm examination: 10-30%
Lab practical midterm examination: 0-20%
Final examination: 20-35%
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Perform a pretest patient medical history
2. Perform a preliminary otoscopic evaluation of the auditory meatus and tympanic membrane
3. Perform tympanometry and describe the results
4. Perform a standard audiometric test
5. Explain test results to the test subject
6. Identify appropriate amplification strategies based on the test results
Textbooks and materials to be purchased by students. Consult the Douglas College Bookstore for required materials.
A list of required and optional textbooks and materials is provided for students at the beginning of each semester.
HEAR 1100, HEAR 1101, HEAR 1111, HEAR 1112 or prior successful completion of the International Hearing Society (IHS) Distance Learning for Professionals in Hearing Health Sciences Course and current employment with a hearing clinic
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|