- Guest Speakers
- Collaborative Learning
transformation of BC’s Aboriginal child, youth and family services. The course will review the
imposition of colonial legislation and policies on the lives of Aboriginal children, youth and families in
British Columbia and will examine the current legislative and policy context.
The following global ideas guide the design and delivery of this course:
- The legacy of colonial policies and legislation continues to impact Aboriginal children, youth, families and communities today.
- The knowledge of specific policies and legislation empowers practitioners to work respectfully and effectively with Aboriginal children, youth, families and communities who are involved with Aboriginal and mainstream systems.
- The reclaiming of Aboriginal control over services to Aboriginal children, youth and families is a historic act of justice and a necessary element in reconciliation.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain past and current key legislative and policy developments that impact Aboriginal children, youth and families including the Indian Act, the Child, Family and Community Services Act and the Tssawassen Accord.
- Discuss current legislation, policies and standards specific to child welfare delivery in Aboriginal communities in BC.
- Discuss the current context and processes related to the transformation of services to Aboriginal children, youth and families.
- Identify other key pieces of legislation from systems other than child welfare that have an impact on Aboriginal children, youth, families and communities.
- Apply knowledge of specific policies and legislation to their work with Aboriginal children, youth and families.
This course will conform to Douglas College policy regarding the number and weighting of evaluations. Typical means of evaluation could include a combination of:
- Research essays and reports
- Individual and group presentations
- Examinations or quizzes
- Class contribution
Enrollment in CYCC Program - Aboriginal Stream or permission of Coordinator