1. Overview of First Peoples of Canada
4. Cultural Themes
5. Culture Change after Colonial Contact and Settlement
6. Contemporary Issues
The course will employ a variety of instructional methods to accomplish its objectives, including some of the following:
The evaluation will be based on course objectives and carried out in accordance with Douglas College Evaluation Policy. An example of an evaluation scheme would be:
|Attendance & Participation||5%|
Students may conduct research with human participants as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with Douglas College policies on ethical conduct for research involving human subjects.
At the conclusion of the course, the successful student will be conversant in:
1. The major indigenous cultural areas of Canada, including their general distribution and relationship to other groups by language or lifeway.
2. Traditional cultural practices (including economy, social organizations, architecture and other aspects) for each of the major cultural regions of Canada.
3. The traditional cultural beliefs about proper relationships among peoples, the environment, and the spirit world.
4. The challenges indigenous groups faced for their cultural beliefs and practices after European contact and settlement, and their responses and engagement with the development of Canada.
5. Historic federal policies of administration, including residential schools in Canada, and how these continue to have restrictions upon indigenous cultures with lasting effects.
Texts will be updated periodically. Typical examples are:
No prerequisite courses.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
This course is not required for any other course.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ANTH 2142 (3)||2010/01/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ANTH 1260 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2009/12/31|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG ANTH 1XXX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU SA 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ANTH 214 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ANTH 2140 (3)||2010/09/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU ANTH 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ANTH 211 (3)||2005/05/01 to 2016/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV ANTH 2nd (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC FNST 100 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV ANTH 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC ANTH 1XX (1.5)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU ANTH 1st (3)||2004/09/01 to -|