Individual Lesson - Basic (1/2 hr) I
- Technique: Students will work on technique appropriate to their instrument and to their level and ability, through the assignment of studies, etudes and/or exercises by the instructor.
- Repertoire: Will be assigned by the instructor at a level appropriate to the student's level and ability.
- Sight Reading exercises: May be assigned by the instructor at a level appropriate to the student's level and ability.
- Other Materials: May be introduced at the discretion of the instructor.
- Performance: Performance is not mandatory, though students will have the opportunity to perform in student recitals.
The student will receive one-half hour of private instruction per week for 12 weeks.
Grades will be allotted by the instructor on the basis of weekly progress in the various aspects of the course, and on performance level exhibited over the course of the semester. The instructor and student will discuss the student’s progress and performance level at regular intervals (minimum three times) during the semester, so that the student is aware of his/her current standing and what is expected. No single evaluation will be worth more than 40% of the final grade (please see Douglas College’s evaluation policy). The following is a sample grade breakdown:
25% Technical progress
25% Musicianship progress
30% Technical and musical performance level
20% Attitude and effort
Up to 10% of the total mark will be deducted for unfulfilled participation. The following explains the grading calculation:
- 1% is deducted for each absence from the Arts at One concert series.
- 1% is added for each performance and/or accompaniment. This addition will only offset marks that have been deducted.
The successful student will be able to interpret and perform repertoire of an appropriate level, and demonstrate technical requirements as outlined in the Course Content.
The instructor will recommend suitable materials.
Acceptance into Basic Musicianship Program
Full time status in Basic Musicianship Program
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for MUSC 1156|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU PMI 1XX (2)|
|College of New Caledonia (CNC)||No credit|
|Columbia College (COLU)||No credit|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MUSI 1105 (2)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CA 1XX (1)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MUSI 1XXX (3)|
|University Canada West (UCW)||No credit|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV GE 1XX (2)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC MUS 1XX (0.5)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||Individual Audition Required|