The functional and communicative approach will be used.
Classroom activities include: presentation of material by the instructor, practice in pairs and small groups, listening comprehension and audio-visual presentations.
Conversation labs in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
- Basic syntactic structures
- Basic lexicon
- The phonological system of German
- Cultural aspects of German-speaking countries
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in German (present tense only) at the basic level in:
- Aural comprehension of simple discourse
- Reading comprehension of simplified texts
- Speech delivery: extend greetings, express needs, ask questions and give replies
- Written expression: simple sentences and short dialogues
(May include but not limited to writing and reading exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, written homework, preparation, Final Written Exam)
(May include but not limited to oral tests, oral presentations, listening comprehension, conversation lab, attendance, preparation, class participation, Final Oral Exam)
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
Terrell, et al. Kontakte: A Communicative Approach. McGraw-Hill.