1. In-depth review of grammatical structures in context.
2. Study of vocabulary and stylistic nuances.
3. Culture through the works of Spanish-speaking writers and artists.
4. Writing different types of texts, such as summaries, narratives and argumentative essays.
5. Practicing oral tasks such as supporting an opinion, defending a point of view and discussing abstract topics.
Class activities may include: practice of syntactic and lexical structures, discussion of readings and audio-visual materials, written work and oral presentations.
Conversation practice in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
Written Evaluations 60%
May include but are not limited to grammar, writing and reading comprehension exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, compositions, short essays, written homework, preparation, final written exam
Oral Evaluations 40%
May include but are not limited to oral tests, oral presentations and discussions, conversation lab, preparation, class participation, final oral exam
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in Spanish at the advanced level in:
1. Reading comprehension of unedited literary and non-literary writings, including complete works.
2. Oral expression: supporting an opinion, defending a point of view, discussing abstract topics.
3. Written expression: summaries, narratives, descriptions, expressing an opinion, comparative and contrasting analysis of syntactical and lexical features in the language.
Literary and nonfiction texts to be selected by the instructor, e.g., short novels, drama and/or an anthology.
An advanced-level Spanish textbook such as (but not limited to) the current edition of Maria Canteli Dominicis. Repase y escriba: Curso avanzado de gramática y composición. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU SPAN 4XX (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|Coast Mountain College (CMTN)||No credit||2017/01/01 to -|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR SPAN 3XX (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU SPAN 3320 (3)||2017/01/01 to 2019/08/31|
|Northern Lights College (NLC)||No credit||2017/01/01 to -|
|Okanagan College (OC)||No credit||2017/01/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU SPAN 303 (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU SPAN 3XXX (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|University Canada West (UCW)||No credit||2017/01/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO SPAN 302 (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV SPAN 301 (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC INTS 3XX (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC SPAN 350A (1.5)||2017/01/01 to -|