MINIMUM TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
The following are the recommended MINIMUM technical requirements for taking courses online at Douglas College.
- Operating System
- Windows – versions currently supported by Microsoft
- MacOS – one of the three most recent versions supported by Apple
- ChromeOS – versions currently supported by Google (Note : ChromeOS is not fully compatible with all course related technical requirements)
- Speed: Minimum recommended speed of 5 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload. Some courses may have higher speed requirements.
- Connection: Wired network is recommended. Secured wireless connections are acceptable, but performance will vary.
- Peripherals (external or built-in)
- Speakers or headphones
Please reach out to your instructors for more information to ensure that you can fully engage in your courses.
SOFTWARE AND BROWSER-BASED TOOLS
Douglas College uses multiple integrated educational delivery services such as:
- Blackboard Learn
- Respondus LockDown Browser
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
- Microsoft 365
Blackboard provides a list of supported browsers that will ensure all course content and course tools are displayed accurately. We recommend that you run this browser checker prior to the start of classes.
We recommend installing both Chrome and Firefox browsers to access Blackboard, especially if you receive an error message while using either of these browsers. Please try using a different browser to see if you experience the same results before contacting the CEIT Service Desk for assistance. Click here to view the list of supported browsers.
RESPONDUS LOCKDOWN BROWSER FOR ONLINE EXAMS
Respondus LockDown Browser is a tool that restricts access to resources outside of Blackboard during an online exam. You may be required to take your exams using this tool.
ADDITIONAL ONLINE TOOLS
Your instructors may choose to use additional software or browser-based tools within your courses. Some commonly used tools and their system requirements are listed below. Please reach out to your instructors for additional information.