Study Sport Science in Switzerland in Summer 2019!
Our group of students 12 students and two faculty are in Switzerland now. They had a special visit from the Canadian Ambassador to Switzerland, Susan Bincoletto, and the co-Rector of the Swiss Federal Sports Institute, Walter Mengisen, who came for lunch at the sailing centre. The visit marked 10 years of student and faculty exchange partnership between the Swiss Federal Institute of Sport, Bern University of Applied Sciences, and Douglas College. View photos of this special occasion here.
What is the Switzerland Field School?
Students earn 6 Douglas College credits, learn how to teach rock climbing, sailing and mountain biking techniques, experience living in the northwest and south of Switzerland, and visit Geneva and Lausanne - all in 3 weeks!
The program ends in Switzerland so you can travel Europe, the UK, or anywhere else afterwards!
The Douglas College Sport Science department has partnered with the Swiss Federal Institute of Sport in Magglingen to offer an outdoor education and guest lecture experience to remember! Magglingen is located on the crest of the Jura Mountains near the city of Biel/Bienne. Most of the residents there work in sport at the recreational or elite level. The high standard of facilities at the Swiss Federal Institute of Sport enables them to regularly host Swiss national and European championship events. Both Magglingen and Biel/Bienne are French-German bilingual with almost everyone speaking English as yet another language. Home of Rolex and Swatch, Biel/Bienne is a beautiful old town untouched by the great wars, and the ideal place to explore.
This program also offers Douglas College students a rare opportunity to study with Swiss students from Bern University Applied Sciences, and to learn from instructors there as well as from Douglas College.
2019 Program Schedule - Classes at Douglas College: Week of April 22 for 2 weeks - Departure Date: Saturday, June 8 latest - Week 1: Based at the National Youth Sports Centre in Tenero in the south near the Italian border - Weeks 2 and 3: Based at the Swiss Federal Institute of Sport in Magglingen - Program Ends: Saturday, June 29 in Switzerland. Students are free to return home, or start their personal travelling.
Program Capacity: 12 Douglas College students maximum
Courses - 6 credits total
SPSC 1318 - Summer Outdoor and Alternative Environment Physical Education (3 credits) - focuses on climbing, sailing and mountain biking
SPSC 2381 - The Rise of Modern Sport and Physical Education (3 credits) - compares sport, coaching and physical education history and culture of both Canada and Switzerland. Students learn about Canadian sport here. Once in Switzerland, they receive lectures on the Swiss education structure, coaching development system, and sport system.
Program Fee*: $2,950 if 12 students going
*includes airport transfer on arrival, all accommodations, most meals, program related transportation and admission costs
*excludes costs for passport application, Douglas College tuition and other student fees, airfare, travel medical insurance, airport transfers in Vancouver and personal spending.
*amount subject to change
- Download a fillable application form*.
- Download a fillable academic reference form*. Two academic references are required as part of the application form.
- A non-refundable $500 deposit is due at the time of application submission. Please pay at the New Westminster Campus Cashier’s Office or the Coquitlam Campus Registrar’s Office. Cash, debit card, cheque, and VISA and MasterCard credit cards are accepted. This deposit will go toward the Program Fee, and is refundable only if the applicant is not accepted to the 2019 Switzerland Field School, or if Douglas College cancels the program.
*Save the blank form first before typing.
- Application: Thursday, November 15, 2018
- Airfare payment: Book flights after acceptance, and program dates have been confirmed.
- Program Fee and Tuition Fees payment: International Students - Monday, April 8, 2019 / Domestic Students - Monday, April 15, 2019
International Programs Scholarships
Douglas College students may be eligible for $750 to $2,000!
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.00 is required.
- Download a fillable scholarship application form*.
- We will attach applicants' Statement of Interest, Unofficial Transcript, Academic Reference Forms, and Non-Academic Reference Letter from their field school applications.
- Scholarship application deadline: March 31, 2019
*Save the blank form first before typing.
U-Pass BC Program
Students registered in field school courses are opted out of the U-Pass BC Program for the semester when their field school takes place.