To comply with the Government of Canada’s advisory on avoiding non-essential travel outside Canada, all 2020 Field Schools have been cancelled/suspended until further notice. If you’d like to be on our contact list for information on our 2021 Field Schools, please email email@example.com.
Study in Scotland in Summer 2020!
Earn 9 university-transferable Douglas College credits in only 7 weeks' time!
- ENGL 1109: Studies in Fiction, Poetry and Drama (3 credits) - Jason Bourget
- HIST 1165: Health and Medicine in History (3 credits) - Sally Mennill
- SOCI 1155: Social Issues (3 credits) - Joey Moore
Study 4 weeks here, 1 week in London, and 2.5 weeks based at the University of Edinburgh!
- Monday, May 4 - Four weeks of classes start at Douglas College
- Sunday, May 31 - Group departure to London
- Monday, June 1 - Group arrival in London. Highlights include a play at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, the British Museum, and Platform 9 ¾.
- Sunday, June 7 - Group departure to Edinburgh. Accommodation and classes at the University of Edinburgh. Highlights include visits to Edinburgh, Stirling, and Tantallon Castles, Mary King’s Close, and Surgeons’ Hall Museums.
- Wednesday, June 24 - End of program. Group members are free to return home or start personal travel
*subject to change
- $3,900 based on 20 students going
- $4,000 based on 16 students going
- Students get $100 off if their complete application is received by Friday, November 29, 2019!
*Estimates only. The final amount will be posted in Winter 2020. It depends on such factors as the final number of students going, the currency exchange rate, etc.
- airport transfer on arrival in London
- a UK public transit "Oyster Card" with £35.00 value
- shared hotel accommodation in London; dormitory accommodation in Edinburgh
- all breakfasts, some lunches
- admission to all program-related events and sites, plus others listed on Historic Scotland pass (for use on weekends)
- rail transportation on program-related trips
- passport application*
- visa application**
- tuition and other Douglas College student fees
- mandatory travel medical insurance
- airport transfers in Vancouver
- some lunches, all dinners
- airport transfer after the program ends in Edinburgh
- personal spending
*Passports need to be valid for at least 6 months after you return to Canada. For example, if date of return is July 1, 2020, passport needs to be valid at least until January 1, 2021 or after.
**For the purpose of attending the Scotland Field School, Canadian students normally do not need to apply for a UK visa. However, non-Canadian students may need to, and obtain one, before departure. Visit here for more information. Passport holders of visa-exempt countries, including Canada, are advised to have with them the same documents needed to apply for a visa, in case asked for by UK border officers. All students going on field school will be given a dean-issued endorsement letter prior to departure.
- $6,700 for domestic students
- $11,300 for international students
- plus spending money
- Download a fillable application form*
- Download a fillable reference form*. This form is part of the application.
*Save blank form before typing!
- Application: Extended to Wednesday, February 19
- Flight booking and payment: soon after application deadline. Accepted applicants will be notified.
- Program Fee and Tuition Fee payment:
- International Students - Monday, April 6
- Domestic Students - Tuesday, April 14
Students accepted to the 2020 Scotland Field School will be registered by the Registrar's Office sometime during the registration period for Summer 2020 (March 10 - 27).
International Programs Awards/Scholarships
Douglas College students may be eligible for a $750 to $2,500 award/scholarship!
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA is required
- Download a fillable award/scholarship application form*
- We will attach applicants' Statement of Interest, unofficial transcript, and reference forms from their field school applications to their award/scholarship applications to avoid duplication
- Award/Scholarship application deadline: Friday, January 31; Wednesday, February 19 for students who apply to the field school after January 31.
*Save blank form before typing!
U-Pass BC Program
Please note that students registered in field school courses will be opted out of the U-Pass BC Program for the Summer 2020 semester.
Not a Douglas College student? No problem!
We welcome applications from students of other Canadian post-secondary institutions! Visiting students need to apply for admission to Douglas College preferably before February 2020.
For more information, click here.
Karen Ng, Global Engagement, Douglas College International, Room S2805, New Westminster Campus, 604-527-5844