To comply with the Government of Canada’s advisory on avoiding non-essential travel outside Canada, all 2020 Field Schools have been cancelled/suspended until further notice. If you’d like to be on our contact list for information on our 2021 Field Schools, please email email@example.com.
Study in Italy in Summer 2020!
Earn nine university-transferable Douglas College credits in only seven weeks' time:
- ENGL 1102: Reading Literature and Culture – Faculty Noelle Phillips
- MATH 1234: Mathematics for Liberal Arts – Faculty Wesley Snider
- PHIL 2245: Philosophy of Art – Faculty Darcy Cutler
Study four weeks here and then two weeks based in Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance, with excursions to Pisa, Padua and Venice. Spend the final week on the island of Elba!
See what an experience the 2018 program was for one of the students!
Program Dates and Itinerary*
- Monday, May 4 - Four weeks of classes start at Douglas College
- Friday, May 29 – Group departure for Italy
- Saturday, May 30 – Arrive in Italy
- Saturday, June 20 – End of program. You can go anywhere from here onward!
*subject to change
- $3,950 based on 17 students going
- Students get $100 off if their complete application is received by Friday, November 29, 2019!
- all accommodations (shared)
- food allowance
- admission and most transportation to all program related sites and excursions
- tour guide; and admission to Pisa Cathedral, the Tower of Pisa (the leaning one!), and the Baptistery for the Pisa excursion
- shared hotel accommodation, breakfast, and admission to the Palazzo Bo, and the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua
- Douglas College tuition and other student fees
- passport application*
- visa application**
- mandatory travel medical insurance
- transportation from Vancouver to Florence
- airport transfers
- tram fare for going to and return from Elba (approximately $2.25 each way)
- personal spending
*Passports need to be valid for at least 6 months after the date of return to Canada. For example, if date of return is July 1, 2020, passport needs to be valid until January 1st, 2021 or after.
**For the purpose of attending the Italy Field School, Canadian students normally do not need to apply for a visa. However, non-Canadian students may need to, and obtain one, before departure. Visit here for more information. Passport holders of visa-exempt countries, including Canada, may be asked by border authorities when entering Italy to justify the reasons for and the duration of your stay in Italy. All students going on field school will be given a dean-issued endorsement letter prior to departure.
- Download a fillable application form*
- Download a fillable Academic Reference Form*, and ask two of your recent instructors if they would complete it and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. This form is part of the application.
*Save blank form before typing!
- Application: Friday, January 31, 2020
- Flight booking and payment: soon after application deadline. Accepted applicants will be notified.
- Program Fee and Tuition Fee payment: Monday, April 6 (international students) / Tuesday, April 14 (domestic students)
Students accepted to the 2020 Italy Field School will be registered by the Registrar's Office sometime during the registration period for Summer 2020 (March 10 - 27).
International Programs Scholarships
Douglas College students may be eligible for $750 to $2,500 per scholarship
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA is required
- Download a fillable award/scholarship application form*
- We will attach applicants' Statement of Interest, unofficial Transcript, and Academic Reference Forms from their field school applications to their award/scholarship applications to avoid duplication
- Award/Scholarship application deadline: Friday, January 31, 2020
*Save blank form before typing!
U-Pass BC Program
Please note that students registered in field school courses will be opted out of the U-Pass BC Program for the Summer 2020 semester.
Not a Douglas College student? No problem!
We welcome applications from students of other Canadian post-secondary institutions!
Make your application for Admission to Douglas College preferably before February 2020.
- Official transcript from your current institution is required as part of Admission application.
- Admission application fee: $30.00 (domestic students) / $100.00 (international students).
For more information, click here.
After admission to Douglas College and acceptance to the field school, you will be registered in the field school's courses by the Registrar's Office sometime during the registration period for Summer 2020.
Put these courses towards your degree at your own institution. Visit the BC Transfer Guide for more information.
English Faculty Noelle Phillips, 604-527-5984 Mathematics Faculty Wesley Snider, 604-527-5764 Philosophy Faculty Darcy Cutler, 604-527-5170 Karen Ng, Global Engagement, Douglas College International, Room S2805, New Westminster Campus, 604-527-5844