Our group of 12 students and three faculty finished their amazing program in Iceland on June 9th. Click here to see what they did!
What was the 2019 Iceland Field School?
Students earned 10 university-transferable Douglas College credits in only 7 weeks' time:
- GEOG 1120 - Earth Environments: Land and Water (4 lab science credits) - Faculty Kathy Runnalls
- GEOG 1190 - Regional Geography of the North Atlantic (3 arts credits) - Faculty Susan Smythe
- GEOG 2311 - Urban Environmental Sustainability (3 arts credits) - Faculty Mike McPhee
Click here for more information.
Program Dates and Itinerary*
- Monday, April 29: Four weeks of classes at Douglas College - Sunday, May 26: Group departs for Iceland - Sunday, June 9: Program ends. Participants are free to return home, or start their personal traveling.
*subject to change
Program Fee: $4,000 for 12 students
Included: - group airport transfer, 2-way, in Iceland - all accommodations, which are shared dormitory style - all breakfasts and lunches - most dinners - admission and transportation to all program related sites
Excluded: - passport and visa application costs*. To see if you need to apply for a visa to visit Iceland, click here. - Douglas College tuition and other student fees - airfare - mandatory travel medical insurance - airport transfers in Vancouver - some dinners - personal spending
*Passports need to be valid for at least 6 months after you return to Canada. For example, if you plan to come home on July 1, 2019, your passport needs to be valid at least until January 1, 2020.
International Programs Scholarships
Douglas College students eligible for $750 to $2,000!
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.00 is required.
- Download a fillable scholarship application form*.
- We will attach applicants' Statement of Interest, Unofficial Transcript, Academic Reference Forms, and Non-Academic Reference Letter from their field school applications to their scholarship applications to avoid duplication.
- Scholarship application deadline: March 31
*Save the blank form first before typing.
U-Pass BC Program
Students registered in field school courses are opted out of the U-Pass BC Program for the semester when their field school takes place.
Not a Douglas College student? No problem!
Applicants from other Canadian post-secondary institutions are welcome!
Make your application to Admission to Douglas College preferably before February 2019.
- An official transcript from the applicant's current institution is required as part of admission application.
- Admission application fees: $30.00 for domestic students / $100.00 for international students.
- If you are an international student, please contact our Front Desk at 604-527-5650 to ask if application for Summer 2019 is still open.
- If you are a domestic student, click here for more information on how to apply for admissions.
- After admission to Douglas College and acceptance to the field school, students will be registered in the field school's courses by the Registrar's Office sometime during the registration period, March 12-29, for Summer 2019.
Faculty Kathy Runnalls
Faculty Mike McPhee
Faculty Susan Smythe
Global Engagement, Douglas College International
email@example.com; 604-527-5844; Room S2805, New Westminster Campus