To comply with the Government of Canada’s advisory on avoiding non-essential travel outside Canada, all 2020 Field Schools have been cancelled/suspended until further notice. If you’d like to be on our contact list for information on our 2021 Field Schools, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Douglas College has again teamed up with SFU's Hellenic Studies Program to offer a field school to Greece in Summer 2020!
Spend 3 weeks studying at Simon Fraser University's Burnaby campus before travelling to Greece to spend 3 days in the capital Athens, 3.5 weeks on the island of Lesvos, and finally, 3 days in Thessaloniki.
See the Acropolis, Byzantine and Ottoman Imperial ruins, the White Tower of Thessaloniki, and more!
Plus, earn 9 university-transferable credits in only 7 weeks!
HIST 2205: The History of Greek Civilization* (3 credits) - an online survey of Greek civilization, Mycaenean Greece to the 20th century *SFU's course HS 277-3: History of Greek Civilization
HIST 2220: War and Society** (3 credits) - examines some of the key issues in the history of war and society. After reviewing a variety of scholarly approaches to defining war, the course investigates the role of violence in human nature, the evolution of warfare resulting from technological innovations and cultural change, and the complex relationships between war, culture, and society. **SFU's course HS 216-3: War and Society HIST 3391: Selected Topics in Ancient History*** (3 credits) - studies issues related to Hellenic Studies ***SFU's course HS 307-4: Selected Topics in Hellenic Studies
New Westminster Campus
Thursday, January 16 1:00 - 2:00 pm Room S1711
Friday, January 17 3:30 - 4:30 pm Room B2010
Please visit the Greece Field School webpage on the SFU website.
- Application is administered through the SFU Study Abroad System
- Douglas College students must apply to SFU for admission as a Visiting Student, and for admission to the field school program
- Visit here for application information
- Application deadline for both admission as a Visiting Student and the field school: Friday, January 31
International Programs Scholarships
Douglas College students may be eligible for a $750 to $2,500 award/scholarship!
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA is required
- Download a fillable award/scholarship application form*
- Download a fillable Academic Reference Form* (part of the application)
- Award/Scholarship application deadline: Friday, January 31, 2020
*Save blank form before typing!
Julian Brooks, History Faculty email@example.com 604-527-5210 Room N3315, New Westminster Campus
Karen Ng, Global Engagement firstname.lastname@example.org 604-527-5844 Room S2805, New Westminster Campus