This 5-hour course gives students the skills necessary for effective counselling and communication when working with perinatal families and those working with perinatal families. It is also geared for those IBCLC exam candidates who need the mandatory 5 Hour of Communication and Counselling skills needed to take the IBCLE exam. This course would be suitable for candidates wishing to apply to sit the exam within any of the three pathways.
NOTE: Those students who have taken or will be taking the Douglas College Breastfeeding Course for Health Care Providers (BCHP) do not need to take this course as these 5 hours are covered in our comprehensive course.
The course is broken down into 5 sections. Each section begins with a power point video lecture and is followed by readings, activities and quizzes to broaden your understanding and strengthen your communication and counselling skills.
By the end of the course, you will:
- Understand reasons why effective communication is foundational to breast/chestfeeding support
- Use open-ended, non-judgmental questions to enrich the information you gather and gain a deeper understanding when communicating
- Demonstrate techniques of active listening
- Learn to be present and listen without giving advice
- Understand and demonstrate cultural humility and safety, trauma-informed care, and respect
- Identify strategies for effective work with adult learners
- Offer feedback and suggest solutions
- Assist families in formulating their own care plan, and document/communicate it to family and other health care providers
- Use tools such as the LOVE tool and the Douglas College 4 organizing principles to guide you in supporting families on their human milk feeding journey.
Course Fee: $87.00